Creamy, dreamy macaroni and cheese made with two kinds of cheddar cheese and loaded with sour cream, chives, bacon, and green onions – just like your favorite potato skins.
A few months ago I was invited to participate in Mac and Cheese Mania.
Yes, you read that correctly. Mac and cheese. MANIA.
If you think I didn’t immediately sign up, then you don’t know me very well.
Suddenly, I found myself full of panic. What in the world would I make? What mac and cheese would be good enough for Mac and Cheese Mania?
In my panic, I turned to Boyfriend, looking for suggestions.
“Potato skin mac and cheese.” <– Perhaps the 5 most beautiful words to ever leave his lips. The man is a genius.
And so, this Potato Skin Mac and Cheese was born. Creamy and dreamy, this recipe uses two kinds of cheddar (a sharp white cheddar and a milder yellow cheddar cheese) in a cheese sauce flavored with chives, bacon, and a hint of sour cream. The whole cheesy shebang is loaded into individual ramekins (because who wants to share?) and topped with even more sharp white cheddar, crumbled bacon, and green onions. Just like your favorite potato skins.
Excuse me, I need to go shed some tears of joy.
As if mac and cheese pretending to be potato skins wasn’t enough, there is even more goodness involved in Mac and Cheese Mania! When you head over to Rachel or Brandy’s posts, you can link up your favorite mac and cheese recipe for a chance to win some great prizes, including Door to Door Organics Gift Cards, OXO Gift Baskets, Zak Designs Prize Pack, a year’s supply of Cabot cheese, a Vermont Creamery gift basket, and much more. Holy prizes, Batman! And no worries – you don’t have to be a blogger to link up and enter. (All giveaways open to US residents over the age of 18 only.)
Make sure to read after my Potato Skin Mac and Cheese recipe to see what all of the other bloggers cooked up for the event! There are dozens of great recipes here…I’m going to be dreaming of mac and cheese for weeks.
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg
- heaping 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese + 3 tablespoons for topping
- 1 cup shredded mild yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 6 ounces applewood smoked bacon cooked and crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 4 8-ounce ramekins. Set aside.
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk, cooking for 1 minute. Gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Cook, still whisking, until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat to low.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg and the sour cream. Add in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture, whisking to combine. Add another 1/4 cup of the milk to the egg mixture, then pour the egg mixture back into the pot of the milk mixture. Whisk to combine, then add in the cheeses, chives, and half of the crumbled bacon. Mix to melt the cheese, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni. Divide into the prepared ramekins. Top with the reserved white cheddar and bacon. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted, bacon is crisp, and the whole thing is bubbly and delicious.
- Serve immediately with chopped green onions.
Jalapeno Popper Mac & Cheese by Heather’s Dish
Buffalo Cheddar Mac and Cheese by Eats Well With Others
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Macaroni and Cheese with Gouda by Sarah’s Cucina Bella
Light Sweet Potato Mac ‘n Cheese Recipe by Cookin’ Canuck
Macaroni and Cheese Fritters by Amuse Your Bouche
Skinny Chicken Mac and Cheese Casserole by A Zesty Bite
Creamy Pancetta + Leek Macaroni and Cheese by Simply Scratch
Smoked Bacon Mac and Cheese by Cravings of a Lunatic
Pizza Mac and Cheese by Very Culinary
Crab Mac and Cheese by Dine & Dish
Bacon & Eggs Breakfast Mac & Cheese by Sweet Remedy
Fried Mac & Cheese Balls by The Little Kitchen
Sweet Pork Macaroni and Cheese by Oh, Sweet Basil
Butternut Squash Quinoa Mac n’ Cheese Bake by Queen of Quinoa
Lightened Up Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese by Prevention RD
Butternut Mac and Cheese with Pretzel Crust by Healthy. Delicious.
Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese with Crunchy Pita Chip Topping by The Law Student’s Wife
Potato Skin Mac and Cheese by Eat Your Heart Out
Homestyle Baked Mac & Cheese by Pocket Change Gourmet
Bacon Mac and Cheese Egg Rolls by Miss in the Kitchen
Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese by Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Blue Cheese Bechamel Mac and Cheese by Sweetphi
Korean Mac & Cheese by Cooking with Books
Black and Blue Mac and Cheese by Fabtastic Eats
Tomato and Leek Mac and Cheese by Susie Freaking Homemaker
Healthier Mac & Cheese with Chipotle Peppers by Go Gingham
Mac and Cheese Ice Cream by Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
Blue Cheese & Bacon Macaroni & Cheese by Gimme Some Oven
Poutine Mac and Cheese with Andouille Gravy by Climbing Grier Mountain
Double Smoked Chicken Mac and Cheese by Girl Carnivore
Creamy Greek Yogurt Mac and Cheese with Peas and Bacon by Running to the Kitchen
Nudel Gratin by Crumbs and Chaos
Mushroom and Truffle Sea Salt White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese by Big Bear’s Wife
Roasted Poblano and Goat Cheese Mac by Daisy at Home
Creamy Cauliflower ‘n Cheese with Bacon by Barefeet in the Kitchen
Wisconsin Cheese, Brats, and Onion Macaroni and Cheese by a farmgirl’s dabbles
Spinach Queso Mac & Cheese by Bake Your Day
Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese with a Pancetta Parmesan Crust by Mountain Mama Cooks
French Onion Mac & Cheese by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Healthier Macaroni and Cheese by Texanerin Baking
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese by CafeTerraBlog
Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Cook the Story
Jack Daniels Mac and Cheese by The Slow Roasted Italian
Lobster Mac and Cheese by FoodieCrush
Green Chili 5-cheese Baked Mac and Cheese by A Southern Fairytale
Homemade Elbow Noodle Tutorial + a Recipe for Roasted Veggie Mac by Bakeaholic Mama
Salsa Verde Mac-n-Cheese (two ways) by Eat2Gather
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese with Crispy Panko Topping by The Lemon Bowl