Sorry, kidlets, but it is that time of year again: back to school.
That sound you just heard was a thousand students and teachers simultaneously groaning in agony at that thought.
Personally, I was the nerd that always kind of enjoyed going back to school and getting into a routine again. This is not to say that I enjoyed getting back to homework and exams – I just really enjoy learning. If I were the type to hashtag in normal writing, there would be a “nerd alert” hashtag going on right about now…
But since back-to-school season can be a bit of a drag for normal human beings, the fine folks over at Walkers Shortbread have a whole line of mini shortbread and cookie varieties designed to make back-to-school snacks quick, easy, and fun. As with all Walkers products, these cookies are made with only the highest-quality ingredients – including whole-wheat flour, creamery butter, and whole grain oats – and never contain GMOs, artificial colorings, flavors, or preservatives. Additionally, these bite-sized little cookies are packaged in convenient re-sealable, grab-and-go bags to make after-school snacks or tucking into lunch boxes super quick and easy.
My favorite of these little cookies is the newest addition to the Walkers family, the Mini Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies. I saw these and knew immediately that I wanted to incorporate them into some kind of fruit crumble (since the alternative seemed to be shoving them all into my mouth at once). Made in individual ramekins, these Apple and Pear Crumbles are perfect for a special after-school snack, perhaps to celebrate a good grade on a test, making the basketball team, or to kick off a long break with a sweet treat. And to really seal this deal, making these guys is as easy as cutting up fruit and crushing cookies – done and done! That’s a kind of shortcut I can get behind.
To help make your back-to-school experience even better, Walkers is offering all EYHO readers with an exclusive “buy two, get one free” offer on their website. Now through August 29th, simply use the promo code EYHOSCHOOL at checkout to claim your special offer!
Know what’s even sweeter? One lucky EYHO reader will win a box of all four of the Walkers mini products, including their Mini Chocolate Chip Shortbread, Mini Shortbread Fingers, Mini Shortbread Rounds, and the aforementioned Mini Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies. To enter, simply comment on this post telling me your favorite thing about this time of year! That’s it. One winner will be randomly chosen at 10 pm on Thursday, August 29. Winner will be emailed and will have 48 hours to respond.
Enjoy these little crumbles! Make them for your little ones and ask them what they learned at school today. Maybe if you’re lucky, you’ll get a better answer than just “stuff”. 😉
As part of the Walkers Blogger Buzz Ambassador program, I was sent product to review and giveaway but my opinions are, as always, 100% my own.
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 large pear, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 4.4-ounce package Walkers Mini Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 4 8-ounce ramekins; set aside.
- Place diced apples and pears in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour, and cinnamon. Toss with the diced fruit to thoroughly coat. Set aside.
- Place the cookies in a zip-top bag; close and crush with a rolling pin. You want mostly crumbs with a few pieces of cookie left intact. Place in a small bowl and stir with the coconut oil to combine.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the ramekins and spoon the cookie mixture on top. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, until fruit is cooked and bubbly, covering with foil after 15 minutes to prevent from browning too much. Allow to cool before serving.