I think that every person encounters an occasion that requires cake at least once a month – perhaps even once a week.
We use cake to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, and engagements…and then, of course, there are the cakes that help us survive breakups, loss, and a really difficult Tuesday afternoon. I know I’m not the only one that sees cake as a totally viable way to handle a cruddy Tuesday.
I also would venture to bet that few moms out there haven’t encountered this beauty of a phrase: “Mom, I told my teacher you would make cupcakes for the class… tomorrow.”
If you find yourself in one of these situations – perhaps discovering that your coworker’s birthday is tomorrow, or just simply needing some cake and needing it now– there is no denying the convenience of a boxed cake mix. They’re quick, easy, and a real lifesaver in just about any dessert emergency.
This homemade yellow cake mix takes just a few minutes to pull together and uses ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. In a matter of minutes, you will have the equivalent of two boxed cake mixes in your freezer, ready to go at a moment’s notice the next time your child tells you that he needs 2-dozen cupcakes tomorrow.
And because you made the mix yourself, you can feel good knowing that, while your family may be indulging a little with their cake, at least they aren’t having their preservatives and eating them, too.
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour plus 1 tablespoon
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Nonfat Dry Milk
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter cold and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Add all ingredients except for butter and vanilla to the bowl of a large food processor. Pulse for about 15 seconds, just to combine. Add the butter and vanilla and process until the mixture resembles a coarse meal – you want it to look much like a boxed mix would.
- Divide the mix equally into two zip-top bags and store in the freezer for up to two months.
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the pan of your choice.
- Use an electric mixer to beat together one bag of the prepared mix, 1 1/4 cups warm water and 2 large eggs until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Pour into the prepared pans and bake:
- about 25 minutes for 9-inch layer cakes
- 30-35 minutes for a 13×9-inch cake
- 45 minutes for a bundt cake
- 18-20 minutes for cupcakes.
- A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean when the cakes are done.