Creamy dreamy hummus flavored with sun-dried tomatoes plus a secret ingredient: Greek yogurt!
I’m at that stage of life where back-to-school is something happening to “other people”. I have been out of school for a few years now, my friends have all graduated and even those who are pursuing other degrees choose to do summer terms, making education a year-round festivity for them (yippee!), and – since no kindergarten seems to want my weirdo cats around – I don’t have any little ones to send off to school in a couple of weeks.
But, if I did have any little nuggets that I was sending off to school this month, Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus is absolutely the snack that I would have ready for them when they got home.
Yes, indeed, we would sit around the table, munching on carrots, peppers and pita chips (no celery thankyouverymuch) dipped in creamy, flavorful Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus while I posed the requisite questions and received the one-syllable answers:
“How was school today?” “Fine.”
“What did you learn?” “Stuff.”
And even if I wasn’t sure if their minds were getting properly fed, at least I could rest in knowing that their bodies were being packed full of nutrition from chickpeas (manganese, folate and fiber, just to name a few), sun-dried tomatoes (vitamins A, C, and lycopene), and Greek yogurt (protein and calcium).
That’s right – the secret ingredient to this creamy, dreamy hummus is a healthy dollop of Greek yogurt. By replacing most of the olive oil found in traditional hummus with Greek yogurt, we can up the protein as well as the creamy texture in our favorite snack.
Why the sudden focus on back-to-school? This month’s 12 Bloggers theme was Back-to-School Snacks! But I’ll let you in on a little secret – I definitely took this Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus as a Monday-Afternoon-at-Work Snack and no one was the wiser.
Check out the 11 other kid-friendly (or adult-friendly!) snack recipes created by my fellow bloggers:
- Pizza & Buffalo Wing Bites from BetsyLife
- Peanut Butter and Banana Yogurt Pops from Home Cooking Memories
- Pita Nachos from A Little Claireification
- Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Muffins from The Rebel Chick
- Easy Cinnamon Fruit Cup from Million Moments
- Loaded Pizza Pinwheels from A Night Owl Blog
- How to Pop Popcorn in a Brown Paper Bag in the Microwave from Bless This Mess Please
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Coconut Bites from Mom Endeavors
- Green Smoothie from See Vanessa Craft
- No-Bake Almond Protein Bites from Around My Family Table
- Banana Roll Ups from Plugged In Family
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Olive oil
- Place all ingredients except for olive oil in a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. If necessary, stream in olive oil a tablespoon at a time to reach desired dipping or spreading consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.